William Andrews Collis
(W. A. Collis)
son of William and Mary and  and brother of the artist and photographer Emily May Collis
born circa 1853 Fiji
died 15 December 1920 at his residence 99 Vivian Street, New Plymouth aged 67 years
registered 1920/5439 as William Andrew Collis
1 May 1878 at Winteringham Cottage, New Plymouth
Lydia Naomi King
daughter of W. R. King
Taranaki Herald, Volume XXVI, Issue 2810, 4 May 1878, Page 2
1. Margaret May Collis born circa 1879, reg. 1879/4589
2. Kathleen Mary King Collis born circa 1882, reg. 1882/5991
3. Stanley William Max Collis born circa 1883, reg. 1883/6536
4. Ethel Day Collis born circa 1885, reg. 1885/17789
5. Nellie Bradley Collis born circa 1887, reg. 1887/5737
6. Douglas Leopold Wright Collis born circa 1890 reg. 1890/9804
Messrs. Williamson and Co.'s Photographic Views of the Province.— We inspected yesterday afternoon, at Messrs. Williamson and Co.'s photographic studio, a number of beautiful views taken recently in various parts of the Province. They are "plate" size, being ten inches by twelve inches. The views were taken by Mr. W. A. Collis, and are very excellent specimens of photographic art, comprising scenes at the Waitara, Urenui, and Pukearuhe. "A Bush Scene," taken from a gully at the back of the A.C. Camp, looking south-east, is really a very beautiful picture, and another looking to the north-east is equally effectively taken. The views at Pukearuhe also comprises the following scenes:-
"View of the A.C. Camp from the Sea,"
"View of the Camp from northeast side, showing the Cliffs,"
"View of the Camp from the Slaughter-house,"
"View of the Cliffs from the Sands."
At Urenui we see
"View of the Redoubt and Magazine" showing also several of the settlers' houses there;
"A View of the Township and north side of the River," and
"A View of the Urenui Bridge."
Our space to-day prevents us doing that justice to these views that we should like, and we shall on another occasion refer to the collection but we cannot conclude without recommending those who would wish their friends in England or elsewhere to have an idea of the Province, to purchase some of these photographs and forwarded them home, feeling sure it would tend more to create a desire to visit this spot than all the letters they could write on the subject. We may add that Messrs. Williamson and Co. have innumerable views taken about the town, also panoramas of New Plymouth, one taken from Marsland Hill, and the other from Fort Niger.
Taranaki Herald, Volume XXIV, Issue 2404, 22 April 1876, Page 2
Mr W. A. Collis has forwarded to us some specimens of his Christmas photograph cards, which are very artistically got up. The chief feature in the cards this year is the Jubilee gathering in the centre of the town in March last, although, of course considerably reduced, the figures are very distinct. The border of flowers around the picture is pretty, and adds to the attractiveness of the cards. Mr Collis has also views of a waterfall on the Waiwakaiho some of which have been artistically coloured by Miss E. Collis, and form a very pretty picture. On one of the boughs of a tree are the words "Compliments of the Season." There should be a large demand for these cards.
Taranaki Herald, Volume XL, Issue 9208, 20 October 1891, Page 2
Councillor William Andrews Collis was born in Fiji, South Sea Islands, in 1853, but arrived in Auckland at an early age, and was educated at Wesley College. The family settled in New Plymouth in 1872, and the subject of this sketch was brought up as a photographer with Mr. Hartley Webster. After some time he became manager of Messrs Williamson and Company's business, and commenced on his own account, in Brougham Street, in the year 1875. Mr. Collis was elected to the Borough Council, in 1889, for West Ward, but he has latterly represented Central Ward. He is a representative of the Council on the Board which controls the Recreation Grounds, and is the New Plymouth member of the Egmont National Park Board. Mr. Collis is chairman of the North Egmont Committee, in connection with the Park, and is secretary and treasurer of the local Scenery Preservation Society, the parent society of its kind in New Zealand. He has also been for several years chairman of the New Plymouth school committee. As a Forester, Mr. Collis is a trusted of Court Waireka, Ancient Order of Foresters; and he acts as trustee and secretary of three trusts in connection with the Wesleyan Methodist Church in New Plymouth. He was married, in 1877, to a daughter of the late Mr. W. R. King, of New Plymouth, and has two sons and four daughters. Mr. Collis is further referred to in connection with his business as a photographer.
Collis, William Andrews, Photographer, Devon Street, New Plymouth. Mr. Collis began business in Brougham Street, in 1875, but in 1882 he built his studio in Devon Street. The building is of wood and iron, and two stories in height; it has a studio, waiting and dressing rooms on the upper floor; and the offices and work rooms are on the ground floor. Mr. Collis undertakes all kinds of photography, including landscape and portraiture. He is further referred to as a member of the New Plymouth Borough Council.
The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke’s Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Victoria University of Wellington
Victoria University of Wellington
 died 21 April 1903 at Te Aroha in his 79th year